Thursday, March 13, 2008

Rob is feeling TONS better!!! YEAH!!

I will not go into details, but for the past 3 months, Rob has not been feeling very good. He went off pain pills after two and a half months, went through the withdrawal symptoms and then just after his two week mark of going off, he had to go back on. Due to a condition he has, he does not heal very well and so he was just not getting better. We switched our general doctor, and we talked with our surgeon and our specialist doctor and tried to get things figured out.

During all this time, Rob couldn't do much around the house, so it was all up to me to keep everything together. There were times when I would just get overwhelmed, taking care of Robert and taking care of myself and everything that needed to be done around the house. In the beginning, I was frustrated and it just seemed like Rob and I were living together, but not. We never did anything, because Rob never felt well. It was really hard, we never really shared our feelings during this time. I always thought when you go through a really hard trial, you become closer together, and it didn't seem like this was the case. But, as time went by and we really had no answers to why he was still not getting better, we came together through praying and crying together and just being there for each other, we came together and became stronger.

During this last week our specialist decided to try a drug that would hopefully help Rob. This drug is really expensive, and so the insurance will not cover it until you have tried all the other medications, which we have and so the specialist decided it was time to try. Especially since Robert was in so much pain, even on pain pills. They scheduled it a week out. They needed time to get the insurance approval and so Rob could be on his antibiotics a little longer from an infection he got. So we just had to survive the week. That is easier said than done. He had one awful week and we almost made it. Wednesday, he was scheduled to get the medicine, and tuesday morning he woke up really hurting and told me he needed to go to the emergency room. This was when I was supposed to be leaving to go to work. So we called his parents to come over and drive him to the hospital(his mom was planning to spend the day with him because she did not have to work). But Rob really was not going to make it that long so I called my mom who was just around the block to come over and take him. So she came over and in the meantime I am trying to get a hold of the bus driver I aid for and could not reach her.

I kept talking to Rob, to make sure he didn't go crazy and so he stayed alert. My mom came and she noticed my neighbors lights on(our doctor) and so she called him to come over and help get Rob out to my moms car. They got him out to the car and my mom headed to the ER and I drove to work to tell them what was going on and if they could get me a sub aid. On the way, the driver finally called me and I explained what was happening and she said she would take care of it. I still drove to work to make sure they found someone, and they did so I headed to the ER. Rob was feeling a little better from the pain pill he took just before leaving. Rob doesn't remember anything really about getting to the hospital. We decided to stay at the hospital and get things under control. The pain medication they were giving him was not helping a whole lot.

To make a long story short, the medicine for his condition was scheduled to be given Wednesday morning at the hospital and they changed his pain medication to a different kind on Wednesday morning because the other one just was making him sick and feel worse. He had a rough Wednesday morning before his treatment. So he got the treatment at about 11:30a.m. and it took about 2 and 1/2 hours. They give it to him through an IV. Then he slept for a while and he was already feeling a whole lot better. On this medicine you can see results quickly or sometimes it takes a few weeks, but usually it is a dramatic change.

We were hoping and praying that is would work and that it would be a fast change. Well, our prayers were answered. Rob felt so much better, he was constantly smiling and was able to sit and not be in pain and walk around. We just wanted to shout for joy. Nothing is better than to have my husband feeling good. Especially since it has been so long since he has felt good. I called my mom and told her the good news and she just started crying which made me cry. We are just so happy, so very very happy. He is still recovering from everything his body has been through, but we are on the road to recovery. Things are looking fabulous.

We were able to go home Wednesday night. Rob was wanting to sleep in his own bed and to take a shower and so we came home and I cut Roberts hair which really needed it. Then, he took a shower after two days of sweating on those hospital beds. And we just relaxed.

We just want to thank everyone for their prayers and support. Our ward has been so good as well, everyone, we are just so grateful for all the wonderful people in our life that help us and love us. We cannot express how truly grateful we are to our families and ward members and friends who have helped us get through this. We are on the road to recovery and I am so glad to have my husband back. I could not be more excited.

Also a big thanks to our surgeons, doctors, and our specialist who worked with us and listened to our concerns and made sure things were moving in the right direction. They were all so good at explaining everything to us.
We love you all.

4 comments:

Heather Taylor Photography said...

awww, now I'm all teary! (But in a good way, of course!) :) I'm so glad he's doing better now and on his way to feeling more like himself. Christin, I've also been completely in awe at your "quiet strength" through all of this- Rob is SO lucky to have you. Please let us know what else we can do for you, and hopefully we can see you Sunday! :)

The Morreys said...

You two have been through so much!! I can't imagine how difficult it has been. We've been so worried about you and are so glad that things are finally getting better. We look forward to seeing you for Easter.

Ryan and Michelle said...

So glad to hear Rob's doing better! You guys are the "veteran" married couple in our group and set such a good example of love, patience, and compassion. I know it kind of throws a kink into things now that we're in SD, but when are we all going to go to Bloomington Lake again? :)

Lacey said...

I'm sure you guys have been going through a really hard time lately, and it's so good to hear that things are looking up for Rob's health! We're still keeping you in our prayers!