Saturday, April 5, 2008

My Sweet Grandma

My sweet Grandma passed away Monday morning after a long battle with cancer. It eventually just took over her entire body. I am sad, but glad she is out of pain, these last couple of weeks for her were very painful. I am sad that I was not able to see her and say good bye before she died. Rob was sick and I didn't want to leave him. So, I never really saw her when she was really sick, in a way I am glad I did not see her like that.
My Grandma and Grandpa are an example to me of love and kindness. I just love seeing them together.
We went to the funeral Thursday. We left at 8:00 and we picked up my Aunt and here son. It was a beautiful day. The viewing was at 11:00, when I went it to see her she was so peaceful. One thing I didn't know, was that she had lost a lot of her hair from radiation treatment and so she was wearing a wig. The funeral was very good, and for some reason I did not cry like I usually do at funerals. I don't know why.
After the funeral the Relief Society prepared a luncheon for us. Afterwards, we went back to my Grandparents house and talked and visited. I got to see a lot of relatives from California that we don't get to see very often. It was a good day. My grandpa is such a happy man, and he is doing very well through all of this, he is the kind of person that was comforting everyone else. Maybe that is why we all did so well, knowing my grandpa was okay with grandma passing, knowing he will see her again and that she is no longer in pain.
My grandma was a friend to everyone, she was everyone's grandma. She made everyone feel special and loved.
Some of the things I remember about my Grandma:
She collected glass paper weights, the ones with beautiful designs inside them. I got one as a white elephant gift one time and gave it to her. The coffee table in her front room is where they found there home.
My grandma and grandpa would always come Christmas Eve, and we would have Christmas Eve dinner with them and my Aunt and her kids. Then my grandma and grandpa would stay the night and watch us open presents in the morning. It was so fun having them there.
She loved decorating for the holidays, especially Valentines and Halloween. Her birthday was around Valentines Day and my grandpa's was around Halloween. We used to go over and have dinner with all our relatives to celebrate their birthdays and I loved seeing all the decorations.
She always had her jewelry on, earrings and necklace every time we saw her, and she had a ring on almost every finger. She was a very colorful lady.
There are so many memories, I am grateful for all the memories I do have and I will miss my grandma, but I will see her again. Love ya, Grandma!


These pictures of my grandma and grandpa were taken in 2005 at my wedding reception.

5 comments:

Megan said...

Hey Christin,
I love your new blog! Did you do all your scrapbooking on the computer or is it paper that you have just scanned onto the computer? Either way, it is awesome. I love the wedding pictures slid show.

The Morreys said...

You're grandma seems like she was a really neat lady. We were sorry to hear that she passed away.

Ryan and Michelle said...

Very cool scrapbooking slideshow. Who knew Rob was so photogenic?

Lacey said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your Grandmother's passing. It's times like these that the fullness of the gospel can bring such peace into our lives. She sounds like she was an amazing woman who left her mark on many people's lives.

Jon. Jamie. Ethan. Lynsi. Katie. said...

Love your new blog look! Oh! wedding day pictures! I love it!!!
I know what it's like to have a grandparent that I am close to pass away! I only have one grandma left still living, my other grandma and grandpas have passed on. Just think of all the fond memories you have had here with them! What a special grandpa you have to comfort everyone else, I am sure that made a world of a difference.