Melanie's breathing from the beginning has always been weird to me, and now she projectile spits up and loses quit a bit when she does, sometimes after every feeding. She will spit up like this whether she is flat propped up or all the way upright. She also has a hard time swallowing when drinking from a bottle, like she is getting too much milk and can't swallow it fast enough. She will do this gag/choking sound, and then we usually have a few seconds before she spews it all out, and it is not just a little milk. And today the milk came out a little yellow. So, we went into the doctors today to figure things out. We are going to try some reflux medicine first and if that doesn't work, I am going to go off of dairy, yes, ALL dairy. Man, I have dairy at every meal. He is pretty sure it is the milk products that I am drinking, but wants to try the meds first. Her weight was only 9lb 14 oz, she was 8lb 4oz at her two week appointment, and this is 4 weeks later. so she should be more than 10lb at least. So, we will see how the weekend goes and we go in for a weight check on Monday. So wish each kid came with an instruction manual. Just have to figure them out as we go, I guess.
Friday, April 6, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)













5 comments:
I went off dairy and soy with Austin and peanuts were the culprit! Good luck with it all!
So sorry you have to go through all this fun stuff with Melanie. I'm sure it is hard. We have a sick kid right now and that is enough for me! Hope you are able to get everything figured out. We are thinking of you!
I don't eat peanuts, so I don't think it would be that!
Thanks Trina, so sorry that Mason is sick, hopefully he gets over the bug quick, that is no fun.
I've had some friends that have had to get off dairy, too. Good luck with it all, I hope you see some signs of improvement soon!!
I don't know anything about the extreme spitting up, but Vi had some weird sounding breathing for the first four months of her life. It made me nervous, because she would sound like she was gasping for air all of the time, no matter what she was doing. Our old pediatrician wasn't concerned and put her on reflux meds because I wanted something at least, but for her that didn't make a difference. Two other Dr's looked at her before our new pediatrician diagnosed her with tracheomalacia. Basically the cartilage in her windpipes was floppy and caused the funky breating and spitting up. She grew out of it, but it was just relieving to me to know what was going on! I hope that you're able to figure out Melanie's issues quickly and that she can get what she needs to grow and be healthy.
Post a Comment