Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Findlay Family Reunion

So our Findlay Reunion was last weekend and Rob headed up on Wednesday night to go riding before everyone came up on Friday night. After last year of not getting any sleep, I was not planning on going until Saturday morning, but we went up Friday night again. Since Melanie is still waking up frequently at night and I have to pump, I needed to sleep inside. I packed and got everything ready, and I picked up my sister Katie who was riding with us up to Paris, Idaho at 4:00. We left my parents house at about 4:30 and got there around 6:00. I was able to unload a few things from the van, while my Dad watched Melanie and Katie watched Julie. My Dad was helping with the Dutch Oven dinner. Just before dinner, Rob got back from his ride that he went on with some friends from our ward. While we were all sitting outside on our camp chairs enjoying dinner, there was some nasty looking clouds rolling in, and then the winds started to pick up, and it was that moment where you are like, I think we should pick up everything and head for cover. I grabbed Melanie who was in her bouncer, and took her inside and came back out and grabbed my plate. After putting it inside I came back out and put our chairs away and took them into the back part of the yard to Rob trailer and while inside the trailer it started to pour, and Rob was in the process of getting his 4-wheeler and razor into the trailer. I ran back to the house and finished dinner inside along with everyone else. So after dinner, we kind of just did whatever, and got ready for bed. I got Melanie down around 9:00, and Julie had to stay up and watch everyone until they all went out to their tents. She just sat in the chair with her blanket. We finally got her upstairs and in bed and I laid with her for a minute until she fell asleep. We had the whole upstairs to ourselves, Rob slept in another room with Julie that had a couple beds in it. Rob said that her woke up and Julie was hanging off the bed and he had to move her back onto the bed a few times, but she slept well. Melanie decided to wake up quite a few times during the night. I didn't really get to sleep until 1:00, and then it was every two hours that she would wake up. I am just glad we had our own room. We actually had the whole upstairs to ourselves, everyone else slept out in a tent. I got up about 6:30 and just got ready since I wasn't going to be going back to sleep. And I think Melanie slept til around 9:30. 
We had a breakfast of pancakes, eggs, bacon, and fruit. My mom made it up during breakfast. After breakfast Rob wanted to take Julie and I to the ice caves. I hadn't been up there since we were dating, and so after getting shoes on Julie and pumping and shoes on myself and a jacket, we got our helmets on and got ourselves strapped in and we were ready to go. 
Julie all ready to go.
I told Rob I had to be back by 1:00 to feed Melanie, and it was about noon already. It took about 20 minutes to get to the ice caves, and we got out and walked down to the entrance. The entrance looks a little scary as you round the corner. 
 Julie and Rob went on and I started coming behind them. As I got closer there was a little bridge over some water(just a small platform really, and very little water), but it was dark and I am freaked out by dark water. I couldn't even make it in there. I told Rob I couldn't do it and walked back out. 
When they came back out, Julie wanted to go back, so we took a picture and then Rob took Julie back in.
He told me to go up to the top and look in from above. So, I headed  up to look from above and  took some pictures up there of Julie and Rob. 
 It was starting to sprinkle, and so I yelled down to Rob that it was starting to rain, and so he headed back out and I made my way back to the razor. It got heavier and heavier, Rob barely made it into the razor before it was a down pour. Rob said we should go into the cave and wait for it to stop, but I needed to get back to feed Melanie and we were already going to be late, and so I told him we should just start going back now. I am glad Rob had a canopy on his razor. I pulled my hair back into a pony tail and put my hood on(grateful I had my jacket as well), and then put my helmet on. We got Julie's helmet on and got all strapped up and headed out. Here is a picture right when we left. You can see the hood of the razor already pretty wet. 
 Rob started to book it home, but with the downpour of rain, we were just getting soaked and Julie was not liking it one bit. We stopped under a tree and Rob pulled out a space blanket. I unfolded it and we put that over our laps and I lifted it up over our heads to keep us somewhat dry. It helped a little, and as Rob was racing back, that blanket was plastered to my helmet from the wind and rain. Julie had holes in her helmet so the rain was getting in and getting her pretty wet, plus it was going down the back of our seats and getting our backs wet. We had to stop a few times to readjust things and because Julie was crying and not liking it at all. We were trying to shield her the best we could. We passed a few trucks and I am sure we looked pretty funny with this silver space blanket up over the top of us. What an adventure, we were just making memories as my family likes to say. As we were getting a little closer to home, Rob said that the rain had stopped, but it actually hadn't rained at all down where the house was, so we looked pretty funny being so wet when it was dry down below, The last part before we were back home, I had the space blanket up to Julie's neck and she had her head down. She was cold and shivering. Considering the circumstances, she did pretty well. The rain while we were in Paris was just crazy. It didn't just rain, it poured. Without much warning. So, we had quite the ride. When we got back, I got Julie out and Katie came over and took Julie inside to get her dryed off and in some warm clothes. Then she sat with her until Julie was ready to go play. So grateful for my sister and my parents, they were a big help while we were up there. 
We had hoagies and salads for lunch around 2:00, and again it started to rain during lunch so we moved inside again. Julie made a friend while we were there. I think it would be her second cousin Jackson. A talkative little guy that just loved Julie, and told her that she was cute. I don't think Julie knew what to do, she doesn't play much with others, just by herself. So it took her a while before she started to open up and start talking back and playing with him. He was probably two years older than Julie, but he sure liked Julie. It was fun watching Julie interact with another child. I went up to put Melanie down for a nap, and being an old house, it was very creaky and noisy upstairs, and Julie loved being upstairs with Jackson. They would run around. Surprisingly Melanie did a good job of ignoring the noise and she slept well. 
Julie is into "That's mine" right now, and so we would go upstairs to where she slept and she would say,"That's my room" or "That's my bed". As I was going up one time to check on Melanie, I caught a glimpse of Julie and Jackson in one of the room looking out the window, and they were having a conversation about the train that Jackson's Dad had brought up(barrels that are hooked up onto the back of a 4-wheeler), that Julie had a fun time riding on. They were just talking away, and Julie was talking as well, I hurried and grabbed my camera and got a shot of them. I just think it is so cute.
 They were both coming down the stairs and the stairs are quite narrow, and Julie fell and was falling head first down and Jackson caught her. We saw the tail end of her fall, and Jackson came outside saying," I caught her", he was so happy that he had saved her and I am glad he did also. It was so fun watching them play together, and Jackson had to give her hugs when we left, he would pick her up and left her in the air. Julie is not a huggy person, and so she didn't really hug back. It was just fun to see Julie starting to play and run around with the other little kids there.
Here is Melanie during her last nap there before we left. And when Rob was putting her into the car he told me to come see something. So I headed over there and he was getting her to smile and told me to look in her mouth. She has a little tooth that came through. One of her bottom teeth. She has been so slobbery lately, but she blows bubbles like crazy to, so her shirt is always drenched.
 Here is the room that I stayed in with Melanie, kind of messy as we were packing everything up.
As we were heading home, the rain started up again and just before we got to Bear Lake, it was really coming down, like CRAZY! Most of the drive through the canyon was dry. We hit a standstill halfway through the canyon from an accident. Rob and I made it through before the emergency vehicles came and if we hadn't we would have been waiting for a lot longer. There was a car in the river and a truck in the middle of the road. We never saw the car in the river or even knew there was a car in the river until my parents told us. They stopped to get shakes and got stopped for 50 minutes. As we were just passed the accident is when all the police car and ambulances and fire trucks came whizzing by us. We made it home a lot sooner than my parents who stopped to get shakes in Bear Lake.

No comments: