Thursday, December 9, 2010

First Cold, another tooth. . .

  Julie is getting another tooth on top(3rd to the right of the middle on top), still not bothering her. This picture kind of shows her sore runny nose from her first cold.
She has had it for about 3 days now, and the constant runny nose is awful. Rob was just getting over his cold and I kind of had a little cold, so we pretty much knew she was going to get something. Other than she hates it when we wipe her nose, she doesn't seem fazed by it. It looks like it is clearing up already, so we are doing well. 
How do you teach a child to drink out of a straw or sippy cup, she just chews and chews. She drinks from a bottle just fine, but sippy cups, not so much. We have to squeeze the bottle for her so she can get what is inside. I will make the sucking sound whenever she has the sippy and she just hasn't gotten it yet. 
She has started talking more, where she will repeat words that you say to her. She can say "mama, and dada" really well now. She will also say "Buster"(my parents dog), and "nana" for banana, she says "pretty" when she combs her hair or if we say pretty she will use whatever she has in her hand at the time and use it to comb her hair. She says "no" and other words that I cannot think of right now.
She is so fun to play with, tonight as she was pulling everything out of her bin, I kept throwing everything back in at the same time. She just kept doing this until I gave up and she emptied out the contents and proceeded to move onto her pile of books. We had a mess when she was done, but she had fun.
She is getting a little more cuddly which I love, she will stop playing and come over to me and rest her head on my lap for a few seconds and then go back to playing. I will ask her for a kiss and she will lean her head in and while I kiss her on the forehead, she will make the sound "ma", long m sound, short a. So cute, and I am loving it. She will also give her stuffed animals loves and kisses also. 
She signs for food and water all the time now, she is a thirsty girl. Whenever we go into any room, she first will look up at the light and raise her hand up. If there is a fan, she wants you to spin it, if not, I just tell her, "no fan" and she goes back to playing, and she does this periodically throughout the day.

5 comments:

bobandhaley said...

We taught the boys a sippy with a sippy cup that was NOT a non spill one... then moved on to the ones they have to suck to get at. They are just barely learning how to use a straw.

The Taylor LIfe said...

Thanks, I will have to give that a try.

Megan said...

Yes, take the no spill part out of the cup until she figures out what to do with it, and then put it back in so it doesn't spill. It works great!

Katie said...

Christin- I promise I have not forgotten that you won. Your prize has been sitting in my car since Monday, I promise I will get it to you soon. It's been a super hectic week. Sorry!

Anonymous said...

Carson learned first with a regular straw - not the no-spill one. Once he figured that out it was easy to move him to the other one.
Julie sounds like such a talker! I'm still working with Carson - right now he just prefers to point to anything he wants:) Do you have any tips for things you did to teach Julie different words?