


My husband loves to go 4-wheeling, a few weeks after Julie was born he went down to Moab with my dad for a few days to an ATV Jamboree. He had a ton of fun and then a few weeks after that he went with the elders quorum down to Moab and did some more 4 wheeling. And he goes every chance he can. He has been wanting me to go with him, but I really was not that interested. Just before Mothers Day, he bought a Honda Rincon (for me, so that I will go riding with him), so finally this past weekend I went with him up to Temple Fort. We left Julie with my parents around 10:30a.m. and we headed up the canyon. It took about a half hour to get there and once we got there, we unloaded and got ready. Got our helmets on, gloves on, and he let me drive first (we have two four-wheelers, but I didn't want my own the first time out), so I got on and he got on behind me. We headed out.


The first part of the trail was basically just a gravel road, we kept getting higher and higher up the mountain, and what a beautiful day it was. With all the rain, everything was green and the smell reminded me of girls camp when I was younger. That fresh pine/dirt smell. I drove for about an hour before we switched. What a beautiful place we live in, just gorgeous. With everything I could have been thinking about, my mind was on Julie, and watching the clock (thinking: "how much longer" "are we half way yet" "I need to get back to feed Julie"), goodness girl, just enjoy it. Which I was, since becoming a mother it seems I am planning a few hours in advance. While I was driving, we rounded a corner and there were a lot of trees and the trail was kind of shadowed, and there was a moose that we startled, the moose was on the trail and then when it saw us, started up the mountain and then looked back at us as we stopped and looked back at him. Then he turned and went over the hill until he was no longer visible, kind of cool. We went through a lot of little ponds which was fun. Once we got to the Ranger Station, we stopped and ate lunch. I didn't like stopping, while your riding, you are cool from the breeze of the wind and from the breeze of just moving, and the bugs don't bother you, they just hit you full force, which is why I am glad for helmets(among staying safe also). We ate our lunch, and then there was a group coming down from the trail where we were going to head, they said that there was snow that they couldn't make it through and that we should probably take another route. I was kind of needing to go to the bathroom, but did not want to use the outhouse at the ranger station and didn't want to go in the bushes, so we headed back, I wanted to get back pretty quick, basically wanting to get back to Julie. I left some milk with my parents, but not enough. So, I told Rob that he could drive and to ride like he would normally ride. "Whoa" we definitely rode, I was just holding on for dear life. He can really maneuver that thing. We were covering ground fast, there were a couple places where Rob got off and moved some trees that fell across the trail, he even got to use his wench to move one of the trees.


Basically while Rob was driving, it felt like I was riding a bucking bronco. But I never felt nervous with him driving, because he knows what he is doing. We made it back in record time, although we got stuck behind two trucks near the bottom. We made it down and loaded up, we were so dusty and tired. I can't believe how bounced around I got, but it was fun. I took my helmet off and got in the truck, we made it home around 3:00p.m., we visited my parents for a little bit and then went home, Rob sprayed the 4-wheeler off while I watched Julie inside. As soon as he came in, he took a shower and then I took a shower, and we kind of had a lazy afternoon together. It was a fun day, but I am worn out.
2 comments:
Rob sounds like an avid 4 wheeler! I'm glad he has a hobby like that that he really enjoys. And how fun for you to get to do it with him (whenever you feel like separating for a few hours from Julie, anyways. :) I bet it was a beautiful, if somewhat rough in places, ride. :)
Looks like a great time for you guys- I'm glad you had fun. Amazing how your perspective changes once you're a mom, huh? :)
Post a Comment