Monday, February 21, 2011

Books

I finally was able to read one whole book with Julie! This is awesome, usually she is off and going or flipping to the next page before I can even get all the words read. Since Borders is closing, I went in on Saturday(not knowing that they had signs everywhere and everything was on sale, and everyone and their dog were going to be there), and was about to turn around and walk out when I saw the LONG line. Well, I stayed and browsed through the kids books. I needed some more picture books to read to Julie. I found a bunch and even met up with my brother and sister in law who were finding books for their new addition, which hopefully will come soon for them. We seem to see each other around a lot these days. Anyway, I stood in line for a while and realized I had picked the wrong line, I always do that. Carrying a bunch of heavy books was painful for my back, felt a little like carrying Julie around. So, I paid for my books and was outta there. The one that I read to Julie all the way through was "Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See?", I got the big board book so that Julie could play with it. 
It has little slats that slide on each page and she really liked that.
I was just so glad to be able to read it to her, and have her sit with me the whole time. Reading books to children is so very important! My mom got Julie this book for her birthday(it was actually for me), and I am so grateful that she did, it talks about the importance of reading aloud to your children. Here is the book:
 It also includes a list of books at the end that he suggests, which I love since I don't know what books to get. You start talking to your children from the day they are born, and that is when you should start reading to them. I really love this book and I am not even half way through it yet. I would highly suggest it to anyone wanting to know more about reading aloud to your kids, and what a great benefit it is to them. Go pick it up.
"The Read-Aloud Handbook" by Jim Trelease

3 comments:

Mike, Heidi, and Matthew said...

I love the books you got her. I am glad she enjoyed reading the book with you. It is so much fun when they are interested in a book. I love reading to Matthew and cuddling with him. That book you are reading sounds like a great one that I need to put on my reading list.

The Morreys said...

So sad about Borders. You can't ever have enough books. Reading time is such a special time with kids. I'm sure Julie is going to be hooked.

Lacey said...

I have the Read-Aloud Handbook too. Steve's Grandma taught the Storytelling class at USU for 30 years, and that was a book that they really advocated to all parents/adults who worked with children in any way. Good book! :)